Crisp Abalone Steak Recipe
- 1 pound abalone steaks, pounded thin
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) butter, divided
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp minced parsley
- Lightly season the steaks with salt. Lightly beat together the egg white and water. Heat the oil and 2 tablespoons butter in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Place the fresh bread crumbs in a wide mixing bowl.
- Dip the steaks in the egg white mixture and shake off any excess. Place the steaks in the bread crumbs and press firmly to coat well on both sides.
- Fry the steaks in the oil-butter mixture just until lightly browned, about 20 to 30 seconds per side. Remove to a warm platter.
- Empty the pan, wipe it clean and return it to high heat. Add the remaining butter and let it sizzle madly. When it has completely melted and is just beginning to brown, squeeze in the lemon juice. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the parsley. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the abalone and serve immediately.